NASW Mississippi Legislative Agenda 2022
Adopted October 30, 2021 NASW MS Board of Directors
- Maintain social work licensing law with current language in the law.
- Oppose changes in the composition and scope of practice of the MS Board of Examiners for
Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists.
- Support continuation of and Medicaid Expansion to meet the healthcare needs of the people
- Support adequate funding for all services that affect the well-being of at-risk populations and
increase funding where cuts were recommended.
- Support and advocate for legislation to include social workers as frontline essential
employees/workers in the American Rescue funding allocated to the state of Mississippi.
- Support legislation for equity pay for women living wage in the state of Mississippi.
- Support legislation that addresses systemic public health and economic inequities in the
American Rescue Plan.
- Change the wording of the state law to absolutely require full funding of the Mississippi
Adequate Education Program (MAEP) using language the MS Supreme Court could use for
- Support proposed legislation to expand police reform bills locally and nationally that includes
- Support the Improving Access to Mental Health federal legislation to focus on those
disproportionately affected by COVID 19.
- Support the proposed federal Build Better Business Plan and the Child Tax Credit (CTC).
- Support student loan forgiveness programs for social workers.
- Support any legislation involving marginalized communities.
- Support legislation involving felony disfranchisement, voting rights, and the ballot box.
* NASW MS Advocacy Day at the MS State Capitol is held on February 16, 2022