NASW Mississippi Legislative Agenda 2023
Adopted November 5, 2022 NASW MS Board of Directors
- Maintain social work licensing law with current language in the law.
- Oppose changes in the composition and scope of practice of the MS Board of Examiners for
Social Workers and Marriage & Family Therapists.
- Change the wording of the state law to absolutely require full funding of the Mississippi Adequate Education Program (MAEP) using language the MS Supreme Court could use for ruling purposes.
- Support postpartum Medicaid expansion in the state of Mississippi.
- Support adequate funding for all services that affect the mental health of children in school settings with the hiring of social workers.
- Support and advocate for legislation to include accountability and transparency act for law enforcement officers to be required to wear body cam and to create a citizen review panel for internal investigations.
- Support legislation involving disenfranchisement, voting rights, and the ballot box.
- Support legislation that addresses systemic public health, clean water access, and economic inequities in the
American Rescue Plan.
- Support proposed legislation to expand police reform bills locally and nationally that includes
social workers hired to address mental health and homelessness issues.
- Support continuation of Medicaid expansion to meet the healthcare needs of the people in Mississippi
- Monitor and review the ongoing proposed interstate compact agreement for social workers.
* NASW MS Advocacy Day at the MS State Capitol is held on February 16, 2022